The IC Essential Mix is a Electronic Dance radio show broadcast on KRUI Radio in Iowa City, Iowa, USA on Fridays, 5-7 PM CST on 89.7 FM and http://www.kruiradio.org/listen/. The show features host DJ Avant Garde, live and exclusive mixes of the very best dance music, and interviews with local artists, visiting performers, and some of the worlds biggest producers/djs/artists.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Coachella Lineup Announced!



Well another interesting line-up from the folks at Coachella this year. I'll do a detailed analysis of the line-up this year...obviously with a DANCE MUSIC biased perspective. I bolded thoughout my favs of the lineup.

Day 1 -
A huge headliner is obvious on the first day Sir Paul McCartney which is pretty epic. Some other people might dig Girl Talk on the first day (most close to me know that I'm not really a fan of Girl Talk ...prob cause I'm not into pop music) but my first day favs. are Switch and Craze & Klever. Switch in my opinion is one of the best DJs ever and gets completely no respect for it (his position on the bill may be a showing of that but I don't blame Coachella for this).

Day 2 -
Also on day 2 only 2 djs who I think are really amazing. And NO DJ AM is NOT one of them. Of course, The Crookers who will be rocking day 2 and also a Surkin and Para One. I find the headliner of The Killers kind of intesting. I mean maybe 3 years ago but I don't see why they would be headlining material this year. Especially compared to the Cure and Sir Paul. Or even last years Jack J, Portishead, and Roger Waters. So to me this is a near fatal error in the lineup - especially when they are trying to get me a poor college student from Iowa to go to Cali.

Day 3 -
Roni Size, Groove Armada, and M.A.N.D.Y. have to be my favs from day 3. The Cure would be an amazing show to see as well. But coming into day 3 the schedule just seems a little dry. Here is last years bill:


Final Judgment: One sentence - It was better last year.

Thats enough from me - you decide what you think! And no matter how it compares to last year I want to thank everyone at Coachella for putting this festival on because it is year after year one of the best!

No comments: